The latest issue of Art in Print featured an article that kindly mentions my Struwwelpeter artist book.
Written by Courtney R. Thompson, the article covers the recent “Pulled, Pressed, Printed” exhibition at EXPO 72 Gallery. The show featured various Chicago artists and spaces, including Spudnik Press, where I completed the book during the artist residency.
One of my all-time favorite blogs – 50watts – just did a feature post on my Struwwelpeter project!
Click here to see the post
Huge thanks to 50watts – I am very excited and honored to have the work featured on this incredible blog :)
If you have not checked out the site before, definitely stick around and take a look at all the amazing archives.
A huge thanks to everyone who came out to the Struwwelpeter opening event at Quimby’s!
It was so much fun and I feel incredibly thankful to be around so many talented and amazing people! I didn’t have a chance to photograph so it’s a good thing that Liz at Quimby’s did :)
Many thanks to Betsy Mikel at The Chicagoist for this lovely opportunity to talk about the inspiration and process behind Struwwelpeter, screen printing, and community studios:
Chicago Illustrator Spotlight: Sanya Glisic
Come check out my finished Struwwelpeter project at Quimby’s in February!
The event will take place at 7 pm on Thursday, Feb 10th at Quimby’s Bookstore (1854 W North Ave, Chicago)
Visit Quimby’s website for more info
Quimby’s is one of my favorite places in Chicago. I’ve spent countless hours perusing their comics and wonderful, strange books. I am truly thankful to take part in this event and hope to see you there!
Now that I’m back, I thought I’d post some updates on the Struwwelpeter project. There has been a lot to do on the books, so I’ve been busy ordering materials and finishing everything up.
The pages have all been printed and cut down to size. I am now in the process of folding, sewing and gluing everything… Soon I will be applying the covers and wrapping everything in bookcloth.
For the next few weeks, I will be recording the book-binding process as much as I can. Since I’m relatively new at this, I’m learning as I go and trying out new things.
First, before the pages can be bound, they have to be folded. Since there are over 620 sheets of paper to fold, setting up a jig is a good idea.
I used some illustration board to set up the edges, then taped a ruler across (making sure it is aligned to the halfway point). The height of the illustration boards allowed for space to slide the sheets in and out.
Once the sheet was in place, I used a bone folder, sliding it down the length of the ruler a few times. This creates a crease straight down the sheet:
The crease allows the page to fold in half without damaging it.
The fold is pressed a couple times on each side with the bone folder, creating a sharp fold. Eventually you have a whole stack of folded pages.
printing the second color of ‘Johnny Head-in-Air’…