Cover Illustration for KOSHKA

Wrap-around cover illustration for Koshka, an upcoming magazine published by my friend Kaitlin Kostus, focusing on art and culture of the former Eastern Bloc.

‘koshka’ = Russian for cat

glisic, koshka cover
2-color cover to be offset printed

glisic, koshka ink
original ink drawing

Interview in Chicagoist

Many thanks to Betsy Mikel at The Chicagoist for this lovely opportunity to talk about the inspiration and process behind Struwwelpeter, screen printing, and community studios:

Chicago Illustrator Spotlight: Sanya Glisic

Bookbinding

This post is long overdue, as I’ve been preoccupied with finishing up the books. Anyway, here are some shots from the hand binding process.

punched-holes-process
punching holes in the signature (group of folded pages)

pages-punched2
a stack of the punched signatures ready to be sewn

cutting spines
measuring and cutting the spines

cutting-bookcloth
cutting the bookcloth for the covers

bookcloth

materials
some of the materials: bookcloth, spine, bone folder, PVA glue, brush

gluing-spine
applying glue to the spines…

spine-measure
…which are glued in place on the bookcloth

gluing-bboard1
applying glue to the bookcloth…

gluing-bboard2
…then gluing the bookboard in place

covers-drying
drying the covers before the next steps

More to come! Hope this was helpful :)

Struwwelpeter

title pg preview

Now that I’m back, I thought I’d post some updates on the Struwwelpeter project. There has been a lot to do on the books, so I’ve been busy ordering materials and finishing everything up.

The pages have all been printed and cut down to size. I am now in the process of folding, sewing and gluing everything… Soon I will be applying the covers and wrapping everything in bookcloth.

For the next few weeks, I will be recording the book-binding process as much as I can. Since I’m relatively new at this, I’m learning as I go and trying out new things.

First, before the pages can be bound, they have to be folded. Since there are over 620 sheets of paper to fold, setting up a jig is a good idea.

I used some illustration board to set up the edges, then taped a ruler across (making sure it is aligned to the halfway point). The height of the illustration boards allowed for space to slide the sheets in and out.

folding station

Once the sheet was in place, I used a bone folder, sliding it down the length of the ruler a few times. This creates a crease straight down the sheet:

folding process

The crease allows the page to fold in half without damaging it.

folding

The fold is pressed a couple times on each side with the bone folder, creating a sharp fold. Eventually you have a whole stack of folded pages.

folded-stack

moe. NYE 2010 poster

Working on the poster art and printing for the upcoming moe. New Year’s Eve performance. This also marks their 20th Anniversary show, at the House of Blues in Boston, MA.

Finished the first color for over 200 posters last night…

moeNYE screen

1stlayer_rack

moeNYEposter_1stlayer

The Story of Fidgety Philip: process

Here is the process from pencil to the final four-color screenprint of ‘The Story of Fidgety Philip’.

The story is about a boy who refuses to sit still at the dinner table, eventually grabbing at the tablecloth and knocking everything to the floor. This page faces the text for a different story in the book.

the final 8×10 pencil drawing
philip_pencil

which is inked…
philip_ink

after layout and color separations are done, the first color – red – is printed
philip_first red color

then the second color, gray
philip_2nd-color

philip_red-gray_detail

printing the third color
philip_printing-blue

and lastly, the fourth and final :)
philip_final printing

philip_final print

Printing…

Printing the right/recto of the title page spread. The left will be printed on a different sheet, they will eventually meet up.

title spread, yellow, drying

title spread process, gray, screen

title spread process, gray

title spread process, blue
The third color is the blue. I love the dark green that happened in the lines…

title spread process, blue, detail
The fourth and last color is the dark brown, which I am printing tonight.

More Struwwelpeter printing process

Since the transparencies have been coming out spotty, I’ve been painting them in with india ink. It works really well and I prefer it to the Super Black markers because the markers tend to sticky and cling to the screen, leaving residue behind.

tranparency paint

transp_composite

Printing the first color for one of the pages for the ‘Harriet and the Matches’ story

print-area

harriet_firstcolor

drying_harriet

Residency updates

Some process shots from the artist residency at Spudnik Press…

ink on screen
printing the first color of pages #10 and #3

first color

prints drying

Below is one of the finished printed pages, a small introductory illustration from the story of the Harriet and the Matches

small harriet