Here is a quick stop-motion film I made screen printing the piece at Chicago Printmakers Collaborative for the Blue Moon Artist Series…
I have some exciting news!
My screen print has been selected as one of 20 pieces nation-wide to be featured on Blue Moon Artist Series labels, celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Blue Moon Brewing Co. Here is the original print:
Now featured on a limited-edition Blue Moon Artist Series label…
* * * * * * important * * * * * *
So, there is a little contest to this…
To support me and my work, please visit Blue Moon’s fb page and simply * LIKE * my piece:
here is the link – http://on.fb.me/1KDop7Q
The top 10 pieces with highest number of likes are eligible for an award. The contest goes through end of August, so feel free to share too. I sincerely appreciate your support, thank you!
Color tests and process for a new print series…
A quick update on my artist residency at the Chicago Printmakers Collaborative…
I wanted to a series of relief woodcuts based around a story I wrote some time ago. When I finish, there will be ten woodcut prints and a story page. Overall, it has been a slow, learning process, but it is exciting to see it start coming together.
detail of printed page, The Physician
This post is long overdue, as I’ve been preoccupied with finishing up the books. Anyway, here are some shots from the hand binding process.
punching holes in the signature (group of folded pages)
a stack of the punched signatures ready to be sewn
measuring and cutting the spines
cutting the bookcloth for the covers
some of the materials: bookcloth, spine, bone folder, PVA glue, brush
applying glue to the spines…
…which are glued in place on the bookcloth
applying glue to the bookcloth…
…then gluing the bookboard in place
drying the covers before the next steps
More to come! Hope this was helpful :)
Now that I’m back, I thought I’d post some updates on the Struwwelpeter project. There has been a lot to do on the books, so I’ve been busy ordering materials and finishing everything up.
The pages have all been printed and cut down to size. I am now in the process of folding, sewing and gluing everything… Soon I will be applying the covers and wrapping everything in bookcloth.
For the next few weeks, I will be recording the book-binding process as much as I can. Since I’m relatively new at this, I’m learning as I go and trying out new things.
First, before the pages can be bound, they have to be folded. Since there are over 620 sheets of paper to fold, setting up a jig is a good idea.
I used some illustration board to set up the edges, then taped a ruler across (making sure it is aligned to the halfway point). The height of the illustration boards allowed for space to slide the sheets in and out.
Once the sheet was in place, I used a bone folder, sliding it down the length of the ruler a few times. This creates a crease straight down the sheet:
The crease allows the page to fold in half without damaging it.
The fold is pressed a couple times on each side with the bone folder, creating a sharp fold. Eventually you have a whole stack of folded pages.
Here is the process from pencil to the final four-color screenprint of ‘The Story of Fidgety Philip’.
The story is about a boy who refuses to sit still at the dinner table, eventually grabbing at the tablecloth and knocking everything to the floor. This page faces the text for a different story in the book.
the final 8×10 pencil drawing
which is inked…
after layout and color separations are done, the first color – red – is printed
then the second color, gray
printing the third color
and lastly, the fourth and final :)
Since the transparencies have been coming out spotty, I’ve been painting them in with india ink. It works really well and I prefer it to the Super Black markers because the markers tend to sticky and cling to the screen, leaving residue behind.
Printing the first color for one of the pages for the ‘Harriet and the Matches’ story