Struwwelpeter

title pg preview

Now that I’m back, I thought I’d post some updates on the Struwwelpeter project. There has been a lot to do on the books, so I’ve been busy ordering materials and finishing everything up.

The pages have all been printed and cut down to size. I am now in the process of folding, sewing and gluing everything… Soon I will be applying the covers and wrapping everything in bookcloth.

For the next few weeks, I will be recording the book-binding process as much as I can. Since I’m relatively new at this, I’m learning as I go and trying out new things.

First, before the pages can be bound, they have to be folded. Since there are over 620 sheets of paper to fold, setting up a jig is a good idea.

I used some illustration board to set up the edges, then taped a ruler across (making sure it is aligned to the halfway point). The height of the illustration boards allowed for space to slide the sheets in and out.

folding station

Once the sheet was in place, I used a bone folder, sliding it down the length of the ruler a few times. This creates a crease straight down the sheet:

folding process

The crease allows the page to fold in half without damaging it.

folding

The fold is pressed a couple times on each side with the bone folder, creating a sharp fold. Eventually you have a whole stack of folded pages.

folded-stack

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *